As opposed to clocking hours at the gym or jogging, there are different ways of exercising you can explore. For a start, if you enjoy cycling you can try stationary or indoor spin bikes which unlike elliptical trainers or rowing machines offer varied exercising options and are also easy to use. However, finding the right spin bike can be an overwhelming prospect if you are a beginner. It will certainly take you more hours to research and select a piece of exercise equipment which suits your needs best. With literally thousands of different makes and models to choose from each with their own unique advantages, the following is a review of the best spinning bikes you can opt for.
The Top 3 Spin Bike Reviews
Sunny Health & Fitness Pro Indoor Cycling Bike
The Sunny Health & Fitness SF-B901 Pro Indoor Cycling Bike is a best indoor cycling bike for home use. A heavy-duty steel frame spin bike that features a 40-pound flywheel, smooth chain drive mechanism complete with a heavy duty engine. It produces energizing yet quiet sounds which makes everything calm around your home. Fitness Pro Sunny Health can also accommodate different riders thanks largely to its fully adjustable seat and handlebars. Its transport wheels also allow easy mobility when exercising.
Measures 20 x 46.5 x 48.5 inches in Width, Height & Diameter.
- A 40-pound flywheel
- Heavy-duty engine
- Fully adjustable seat and handlebars for extra comfort
- Smooth-chain drive mechanism
- Adjustable resistance systems
- Highly mobile transport wheels
- User Weight Limit not exceeding 275 pounds
- The left pedal is screwed counter-clockwise with a Pedal Thread Size 9/16.
A Great Buy
The quality of the Sunny Health Pro Indoor spin bike is unquestionable. For such a low price, it is a super bargain far much better than most exercise bikes you can come across. The bike is also sturdy than most spinning bikes you can find in local gyms.
Though a few customers express difficulty in assembling the bike, it is easy to bring together. Even if you are mechanically challenged, you can still follow the instruction manual with utmost ease. All the necessary tools are also included and you will require minimal reference to the instructions.
Though it is heavy, you want a stable and solid bike that can withstand your weight and constant use and still deliver great results. This is why it is a 40-pound flywheeler. The bike is also designed to narrow feet for transport but you can remove those temporary feet and replace them with wider legs. You can also easily install the seat which is already attached to bracket to the seat post. The same also applies for the handlebar bracket.
A notable drawback about the Sunny Health Pro & Fitness Indoor spin bike is that the seat can sometimes be too high for you even on the lowest setting. To correct this, you might have to drill a hole in the post. The box is also really heavy and the shipping weight is listed at nearly 112 pounds. However, this is because the bike is mostly assembled when it arrives. Sometimes the tension control knob for the flywheel gets stuck and wouldn’t turn unless you crank it really hard. Such cases are however rare.
Sunny Health and Fitness Indoor Cycling Bike
Sunny Health and Fitness Indoor Cycling Bike has solid upright design complete with a smooth pedaling mechanism just like real bikes. It also comes with LCS monitor that tracks time, the calories burnt, speed and distance as well. What makes this bike great is the multiple seat positions that allows you to find the right fit.
- Measures 48.43 inches x 30.71 inches x 24.8 inches
- Adjustable seat to different heights
- A molded and padded seat
- 22lb flywheel
- A sturdy steel frame
- Chain drive system for smooth and quiet workouts
- Heavy-duty crank
- Leveling feet mechanism
- Adjustable resistance
- Maximum user weight of 240 lbs
- Weighs 62.6 pounds.
It is Quiet
This bike is very quiet thanks to a smooth chain drive mechanism and minimal magnetic resistance. Especially if you are tall, you will have no problems with the bike as the seat is comfortable even for a 1-hour workout.
The Sunny Health and Fitness Indoor exercise bike also has a solid build with a well-balanced seat. It is also the most basic upright spin bike you can find at such a great price.
For the price, the Fitness Indoor Sunny Health is an excellent bike. It is not only well-built but is stable as well. With the crank, flywheel and chain already pre-assembled at the factory the rest of the parts are easy to assemble. The bike is also simple to manage.
The screws holding the peddle toe clip at times come off but you can easily screw them in again. Some also complain that the bike is not good for tall people especially if the highest seat placement is not high enough for your legs to properly stretch out. Such specifications make it a great buy for shorter folks.
A loud clicking noise sometimes comes from around the flywheel when pedaling. This is as a result of the broken plastic sensor attached to the flywheel connecting it to the computer. You can correct this by removing the small metal piece that touches the plastic sensor and connects to the flywheel. This will render the computer useless but won’t affect the bike’s functionality. The crank can also elicit some clicking sounds. This is usually caused by over-tightened nuts which can bend the ball bearing assembly disfiguring it allowing the ball bearings to fall out of place. The bike can also arrive with disconnected wires rendering the computer non-functional.
Sunny Health & Fitness Belt Drive Indoor Cycling Bike, Grey
Sunny Health & Fitness Grey Belt Drive Indoor Spin Bike. It has quiet belt transmissions with an easily adjustable resistance which makes it one of the best spinning bikes. The seat and handlebars are also easily adjustable complete with a top press down brake. The bike is very stable with a solid build thanks to its steel frame. It also features a heavy-duty 49 lbs flywheel and crank and is equipped with metallic bottle holder. For easy movements, it is also fitted with transportation wheels.
- Fully adjustable seat and handlebar
- Supports a maximum weight of 275 lbs
- Adjustable resistance
- A press-down brake mechanism
- Heavy-duty steel casing
- A 49lbs flywheel
- Belt-drive system for quiet workouts
- Transportation wheels for easy portability
- Weighs 115 pounds
- Measures 44 inches x 90 inches x 20 inches
Quiet & Solid
Since it is belt-driven, the Sunny Health & Fitness Belt Drive Indoor Cycling Bike, Grey produces less noise compared to other spin bikes. It is a great exercise bike that allows for a better workout than the spinning bikes that are chain-driven with the heavy flywheels. This is a good thing as it allows for more resistance.
It also requires less maintenance which makes it altogether a great buy. This can largely be attributed to its mechanism which differs greatly to chain-driven bikes.
The seat and handlebars adjustments are also very convenient. You can move the handle bars up and down and the assembly is also very easy and quick. The setup will take around 30 minutes and all the tools you need are there. You can even install your own seat, pedals and even a specialized saddle.
The tension knob occasionally poses few problems if it is not factory-installed properly. You may have to spend extra hours trying to figure out the cause of the problem because the manual lacks the specific troubleshooting tips.
Types of Spin Bike
To avoid a harrowing experience especially when buying spinning bikes for the first time, you should narrow down your selection and finally choose the right indoor exercise bike that corresponds to your needs. You don’t have to be an expert in fitness matters but just like anyone looking for the best spinning bikes, be objective and above all know the different types of spin bikes available as outline in the spinning bikes reviews above.
If you are not keen enough you may fail to notice that all spin bikes don’t look the same. They usually differ in the way they provide resistance. Most exercise bikes use magnetic resistance but those that use air resistance are also becoming popular at the moment.
Recumbent vs. Upright Spin Bikes
If you are not familiar with the term recumbent, these are exercise bikes that enable you to work out on a seat that is slight bent backwards. Therefore, you assume a reclining exercise position as if you are lying stretched out on your back. Upright exercise bikes, then again allow you to sit straight while exercising. These two positions have their own advantages and flaws which you can consider and then make an informed decision on which spin bike will work best for you.
How to Choose the Best Spin Bike
With your knowledge of the types of spin bikes, the next course of action will be to identify some of the best spinning bikes. It won’t be an easy task because there are varieties of options available. Still, you can make your work easier by knowing the features to look out for in those indoor trainers.
- A good exercise bike model should have a heavy flywheel (at least 40 lb) to allow it to spin smoothly for longer periods. This will also make the bike feel more solid. Besides, a light flywheel will make your ride sound cheap and will be occasioned by jerky pedal controls.
- The best indoor spinning bike should also have handlebars fitted with Fore and Aft setting. Especially for women, an adjustable handlebar is recommended. With such a bike, you can move your handle bar position up and down and also backwards and to the front. Not all bikes have Fore and Aft setting but such adjustments make for a better fit.
- Pick a Belt-Driven bike model instead of a Chain Driven one as well. This is because they are more durable, require less maintenance and always operate quietly.
- The best spinning bike should have an easily adjustable seat. This should apply to all exercise bikes from high-end models to regular spin bikes. An uncomfortable seat will make your exercising session tiresome. Avoid bikes that don’t have such an option. Those that only allow you to replace the seat with only other seats from the same manufacturer are also inappropriate.
- The best spinning bike should also allow you to use a mat underneath to protect your carpet and also help dampen noise and vibration. The mat will also protect your carpet from grease and other moving parts that might pose a big problem.
- A water bottle holder is a good feature that the best spinning bike should have. The reasons are obvious. Besides, workouts are usually intense and therefore you need to drink some water after each session to recoup your energy before you continue.
- The exercise bike should have a bike computer as well. A computer will not only track your heart rate, time, speed and distance but will also clock your calorie goals and keep track of other important things.
- If you have limited space in your home, also consider buying a folding exercise bike. Such bikes will create additional room for movement and even storage. They don’t have to occupy the whole floor.
Whether you are avid spinner or you are keen on getting into shape with the help of an exercise bike, these spin bike reviews and Buying Guide of 2016 will help you achieve your fitness goals. With the acquired knowledge on spin bikes, you can now venture in the market and buy the best spinning bikes some of which are featured here. The best bike should make your fitness sessions smooth and effortless while giving good results. Most importantly, remember that a good exercise bike should have all the features (mentioned above in bullets) you desire without being unnecessarily too costly.